POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Can you tell what it is yet? : Re: Can you tell what it is yet? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can you tell what it is yet?
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 15 Oct 2005 08:25:01
Message: <web.4350f4204ff5b998731f01d10@news.povray.org>
> I like it!! This starts to be more believable (?), although, from the
> landscape features, I would guess that the diameter is much more than 10 km!
> More like 100.
Difficult to tell, I think. If the land masses are only the size of small
islands (as intended), not continents, it looks fine. The problem is,
shorelines are fractal on all scales so without other visual clues it's
impossible to tell how big they are!

> An interesting side track from Ringworld is Gaea (in Titan, by
> John Varley). It is a self-sustaining world, but more asteroid to planet
> sized
Not heard of that. I shall have to keep my eyes open. Speaking of Ringworld,

http://www.infradead.org/~wmp/gallery4/ringworld.jpg

One of my earlier attempts at world-building. It is exactly the dimensions
laid down by one L. Niven - including the shadow squares! However, being at
the extreme of precision, it has a tendency to munge itself occasionally if
I change the viewpoint etc. One day I'll sort it out.

(I was building a description-accurate model of the Lying Bastard, too, but
this project too has fallen by the wayside - although I was quite proud of
my No.2 General Products hull!)

Bill